Friday, November 2, 2012

Kelty Gunnison 1.1 Tent - The perfect "extra tent" for gear and more.


Good Morning,

We've spent the last few days on harsh weather tents and their use. One thing I did not cover, is taking along, an extra tent for gear storage when hunting, or camping. As an example, when I take off to go hunting, it's usually for a bout a week at a time. I carry enough food for that week, as well as the ancillary gear necessary to maintain myself when out there. This fact necessitates getting my truck as close to the area as possible, without creating an intrusion on the environment. It also entails, generally making two trips from my truck to my campsite, in order to get everything up there. So, besides a tent for me to sleep in, I carry a small lightweight tent to store, extra dry clothing, canned goods, waterproof materials if needed, etc. I take a tent along, that I also use when kayaking or just hiking for a few days. It serves double duty that way and is used nearly year round.

With that in mind, I like the Kelty Gunnison 1.1 tent. It's light weight (just over 3 lbs.), inexpensive and super easy to set up. It has adequate ventilation for storing things w/o drawing a lot of extra condensation. Why the extra weight and effort of taking a second tent? Simple. Taking a spare tent, allows for maximum room in the sleeping tent, or, even better yet, a place to get out of the weather to cook in and eat. It has a single door and stay dry vestibule. I cannot speak enough about having a small lightweight, extra tent to store your extra gear and firewood. It just makes your sleeping tent so much more comfortable. Besides, when you're kayaking, this makes an excellent overnight tent for those weekend getaways. By no means, do you have to just consider this a single use tent.

This tent is waterproof from the factory and I took it out for the first time without sealing the seams (something you do on most tents). Just a quick weekend trip to do some fishjing in a local lake of ours. You guessed it... ...I was caught in a Texas sized downpour for well over 40 minutes. If you've ever been in a rain storm in the south, you know what I mean. Plus, the wind was blowing to beat all, but this little tent stood up to everything nature threw at me that day and I stayed warm and dry. I am sure it's bathtub floor design, had a little something to do with that. Plus, the seams are all sonically welded at the factory. So, there you have it, a dual purpose tent, (extra storage at base camp or Kayaking/camping/hiking overnighter). You have it all with this little Kelty tent.


That's it again for today, hike safe and I will see you on the trail-- Campingman
Outdoorplay.com - Free Shipping on ALL orders

No comments:

Post a Comment