Monday, November 26, 2012

Ski Skins... what are these?





Good afternoon everyone,

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I know I did, and I am still stuffed. Deep fried turkey ...mmmm, so good! Anyway, before I digress too much, I wanted to introduce a new topic: ski skins. I plan on sharing quite a bit over the next week or so, so today is just an introduction.

What are ski skins? Or what are climbing skins? I'll bet that I have heard those two questions asked hundred's of times over the years, so I thought I would share some of what I know about this (oft times) little known product. I find that once I explain what they are and what they are used for, our circle of back country skiers using ski skins increases exponentially. So, here's a brief overview.



First, why the two names ski skins and climbing skins? Easy answer. They are the same thing, and here's how......skins (strips of material) that are placed over a pair of skis, to allow you to climb up slopes before skiing down? Get it? The next question is: "Why would you want to do that when you can just take the chair lift?" Again, an easy answer.

If all you want to do, is ski down a groomed ski lodge manufactured slope with about forty gazillion other skiers, then a pair of skiing skins are not for you. Simple as that.



However, should you want to explore some of the back country or even do some cross country or wilderness skiing? Then ski skins are a great way to do just that. I suppose I don't have to mention, that normally, there are no lifts in the back country, so there must be alternatives? That's where these Ski skins come in, as they are designed for adventuresome skiing or skiing in places where there are no lifts. Tomorrow I will take that story back a bit to see (briefly) where the idea for these came from. Until then, keep safe and I'll see you on the trail. - Campingman


No comments:

Post a Comment