Friday, October 26, 2012

Black Diamond Stormtrack 2 person tent


Harsh Weather Tents

Good Morning,

Having just returned from my latest foray into the wilderness on a short hunting trip, and I would like to take some time and share a bit on tents. I know I've previously spoken on tents for one or two people as well as family tents. Mostly just good all around general tents, for general use. What about a tent for the snow? Fall hunting season generally happens when the first snows begin to fall, so today, I am going to start a series on tents that are more for the winter. Having just returned from a trip, I am able to share some of my experiences. Now, keep in mind, that ANY tent can be used in pretty much any weather if: Properly water proofed, supported well, (in case of snows) and insulated. My point here, is why go to all of that bother if you can have a tent for the season you are hiking/camping/hunting in?

In the next several days, I will cover a few tents from Black Diamond, Mountain Hardwear and maybe even a Kelty tent or two. You can see, that I pretty much stick with these manufacturers, as over the years, I have had great luck with all three so I pass along my experiences. That being said, I am going to start off with the Black Diamond brand of tents.
Black Diamond Stormtrack 2 person tent
I like this model, for several reason's. First, it won the Backpacker Magazine's Torture Test.  To start with, it is a four season, free standing, double walled tent. Black Diamond refers to this particular tent as their "Base Camp" shelter. They are not kidding. The reason? It's double walled design. This in itself, helps to not only insulate, but withstand the toughest weather. You can set the tent up, almost anywhere and find yourself protected from the elements. If you need to hunker down, in really bad weather, and you can't get to a more sheltered area? No problem, this is the tent. 
If you just want out of the snow, the rain, or just plain cold weather, this Black Diamond Stormtrack tent fits that need. 



With adjustable front and rear top vents, there is plenty of airflow. The double wall design features 3 poles  for speedy setup and stability in high winds. It's noted by Black Diamond, as "50/50 sleeve/clip fast pitch hub set up." The double end doors allow easy entry, plenty of gear storage (the vestibules are plenty roomy for storage) and cooking space. How much space you ask...it's nearly 7 1/2 feet long (this is sleeping space only, the vestibules add more length, you can use for storage). This tent's sleeping area is just over 5 feet wide. The door fly is taped, 2500 mm polyester and the floor itself is 5000 mm nylon. With that in mind, remember the "Tube Tent/ground cover" I spoke of in an earlier blog? Well, here is a time to use it. Spread it on the ground under you tent before setup, for just that teensy bit additional insulation form the cold. You won't be sorry you did.
My next post will be on the Black Diamond line, once again The "Squall" 3 person tent.. Stay safe and I'll see you on the trail-- Campingan

No comments:

Post a Comment