Monday, October 22, 2012

Mountain Hardwear Summit Rocket 30 Backpack

Good Morning,

My final backpacking review today.... then back to a few more days of hunting... one of my favorite fall activities. 


Mountain Hardwear Summit Rocket 30 Backpack
 
Mountain Hardwear SummitRocket 30 PackI saved this entry for last, for a variety of reasons. But first and foremost, I really like this pack. It is indeed a lightweight pack, but it was made that way for a reason. Purists don't like it, because it is so light. But, going beyond the physical look of the pack, there are some seriously exciting and innovative features you miss at first glance. Mountain Hardwear went out of their way with the design of the Summit Rocket 30. They understand about weight, so they made many of their specialty features removable for just that reason. They understand uses, they understand versatility, they understand what we need and want.
 

When looking for a backpack, I've said to always look for the pack for the use intended. (or words very much to that effect)  Well, this one is no exception. I use a pack like this for those day pushes up a mountain, where I don't need all the bells and whistles, but want to be comfortable along the way. It has a lightweight removable waist belt, which I like because the adjustable shoulder straps and sternum straps still secure the load during some of those really edgy approaches we all get into. If I take out the frame sheet when I need to shave weight, not only does it stabilize the load, but increases comfort. Stripping it down, this pack comes in at under a pound, and without all the extra weight, it can be rolled up and stuffed inside a bigger backpack to continue the longer trek.
 
It even has a top zip pocket for snacks (my favorite feature as you know, access to snacks). On the outside,  there are so many vertical and horizontal daisy chains that you will have plenty of exterior lash points for climbing, mountaineering, or backpacking gear, and a cradle for an ice axe. The compression system can be added for stability or extra gear but is removable for cutting weight. I leave it on for someplace to store trash and those discarded water bottles I find out there.
 
All around, even though this is a lightweight day pack it has tons of uses and I have barely scratched the surface. The versatility of this one, makes it 'King' of the day packs.
 
Stay safe out there and I'll see you on the trail. ~ Campingman
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment