Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mountain Hardwear EV 3 Tent


Good Morning,



As I said in my previous post, the Mountain Hardwear EV 3 tent is what I consider, the "Big Brother" to the EV 2 tents.  Again, designed with the help of Ed Viesturs, in that this tent too is compact, light and strong, utilizing TX107 PU fabric (a fabric that is non stretch laminate, that stabilizes and strengthens when set up.) It's interior zipper along with the 5 welded, adjustable vents, works well with frost management and protection from the elements. 

OK, remember that I said I would talk a bit more about Ed Viesturs? Well, he is a native of the state of Washington and is widely regarded as one of the country's foremost high altitude mountaineers. Not only is he a professional mountaineer, but he works as a design consultant for several prominent equipment manufacturers. Hence, the initials on this line of tents, EV. His simple motto: "Climbing has to be a round trip."

My motto, which you have repeatedly read in my blogs : "Plan your trip, plan your gear, plan your exit" follows right along with Ed's (Although I think his motto was first).  Ed has successfully climbed all 14 of the world's 8,000 meter peaks, without supplemental oxygen. He is the first and only American climber and just one of a handful to accomplish this. You can see from his credentials, that he is eminently qualified to help design anything related to mountain climbing. Which brings me full circle, to the EV 3.

As you may have guessed, by the name, this is a three man tent. I however, use it as a two man tent with gear. This tent incorporates many of the design features of the EV 2, with the addition of an integrated vestibule area, which allows for space for boots and other sundry items near the door. More interior space for gear, and excellent venting. Again, with the zippered snow port in the floor, for excess snow removal you drag in, w/o the necessity of unzipping the tent. It's simple and fast to set up, much as the EV 2, but with the added interior capacity. Weighing in at 6 lbs. you will find it more than adequate and light for hiking. What all of this means? It truly is a cold weather tent. Mountain Hardwear knows how to make great tents and you will love this one.

That's it for today, I will conclude my series on the tents in the next few days., again, thanks for reading and I'll see you on the trail-- Campingman

Savings on Outdoor and Kayak Gear - Free Shipping

No comments:

Post a Comment