Friday, March 8, 2013

Trout Fishing Tips


Insider tips

When fishing for trout in streams, as I said before, I always work my way upstream (against the current) first. Why you ask? Simple. Trout are wily and you must be craftier to outsmart them. I use this technique for easily spooked fish. Trout face into the current when laying up in a pool or slack water of any kind.  The reason for this is that they are lazy feeder's. They look for any type of food coming down the stream. I learned this trick one summer when my job was counting fish for the Fish and Wildlife Department.  

As I would work my way along the streams, fish would scatter, making my job all the harder. An old guide I met, told me that my shadow across the water was alerting fish to my presence. That if I wanted to trick them, I could do so by being on the opposite bank from the sun. That way the sun was in my face, putting my shadow behind me rather than across the stream. I could come up to the fish and easily count them. From then on, my fish counting became easier and I apply the same technique when fishing.

To this day, I wear camouflage clothing. If you don't have any, don't worry, you don't have to go out and buy any. Just wear "natural colors," nothing bright of any kind in clothing or hats. It just makes sense to gain any advantage. 

When I am in the water, I move slowly upstream or down. I try to disturb the water as little as possible. Again, the fish are sensitive to movement, sound and water pressure changes from our presence in the stream.
If you recall my earlier short story about fishing for Brown's in Eastern Oregon? Well, they are a fish that are easily spooked. Remember the simple trick I used, walk on the side of the stream with the sun in your face so that you leave no shadow across the water? It works.
 
I wear Polarized glasses when wading and for seeing fish in their holding areas. When I fish upstream I start by using a fast bait like a spinner or a competitive bait fish lure. The Storm-Wild-Eye-Minnow lure works great for this. But the real reason I use faster baits and lures, is because it allows me to cover a lot of water quickly and to catch the most aggressive fish first.

Depending upon the terrain and time of day, I will fish upstream for about an hour or even an hour and a half, no more. The reason is simple. If I stay longer than that, I will be forced to wade across the stream when the sun direction changes. Thus, once again alerting the fish to my presence. At any rate, when I turn around and go back downstream, I change bait and tactics. 

For the return trip, I slow down, to go after those fish I missed. I use baits like a worm or a small jig or even my Storm-Wild-Eye-Minnow lure. I find that slower baits work well for those fish I spooked on my first pass upstream. Now, you're probably asking how the Storm Minnow can be used both upstream and down? 

It's all in how you present the lure. Going upstream, you are casting upstream quickly into a pool and letting the bait drift through. Looking only for the really hungry or aggressive fish. But, when going back down stream, you are in control of the current and drift speed. Take your time to go over the pools a bit slower this time. You will need no weights, as you can control the sinking or the rising of your bait or lure, by tugging or not tugging against the current 

Using these techniques and tricks will pull those lazy fish out of a hole when you normally might miss them. They have had time to settle down since your first pass, and are more likely alert for slow moving or opportune food coming their way. Trust me, it works every time if done correctly.

Tomorrow, a brief description of some of the common terms you will hear or places you will fish in and how to fish them.

No comments:

Post a Comment