Monday, March 18, 2013

Trout Fishing Using Live Bait


When to use what and why (cont.)
Fly fishing is done with artificial flies that look like insects, but that is another story. 

 Insects used as bait when casting, can be very beneficial. Personally, I've never had much luck using any live insects other grasshopper's. 

Grasshopper's make a good choice, as they will wiggle even on my hook and THAT will entice the fish. But hooking them through the abdomen is the trick, as it allows their natural movement. But, I only use them if it is windy. The reasoning is simple. Often when the wind blows it will blow the grasshoppers and other insects onto the water. Think about it, what fish isn't going to take advantage of a free meal? I use every skill available as you can see.  Who knows? Maybe in your area, "Grasshopper's" will be the magic bullet for you to catch fish!
Finally, I want to cover Egg Sacks. I save this section for last,  because I feel that they are perhaps the best way to catch trout during spawning season. I am sure you have heard people who recommend using eggs when fishing for trout during spawning season, and they would be partially right. The most common one is a salmon egg. But I find, that single, mature, salmon or fish eggs are kind of large for our purposes here. Fish eggs used in "Egg Sacks" are much smaller and sold in quantities of 10-15 eggs per sack. An excellent number for what I'm talking about today. The reason for using egg sacks is because trout will often ignore other types of baits and lures during the spawning season and will eat their eggs. (yes they eat their young.)

These egg sacks are sold in most bait and tackle shops. However,if the tackle shop doesn't have them already bundled? I bundle a dozen or so myself. When I buy the eggs, I also purchase something called 'spawn netting.' (I don't need much and it's not very expensive at all) I place about a dozen of the cured eggs into the spawn netting then tie it off. Just like that....I'm ready to attach the bundle to my hook. I take extra care though as I don't want to burst any of the eggs in either putting them in the bag, tying the bag shut or attaching it to my hook. 

Once I have the sack on my hook, I lightly cast it into the water and let it drift to the bottom on it's own. Letting it drift on it's own will imitate the natural grouping of eggs laid by a trout. I'm also prepared if I'm fishing in waters with steelhead or salmon are, as they too will strike the egg sack.

As always, I thank you for reading. Stay safe out there and I'll see you on the trail--

No comments:

Post a Comment