Friday, March 15, 2013

Trout Fishing Using Live Bait


When to use what and why.
OK....I've talked about lures, time to talk about live bait. Live bait has always been considered a more natural alternative to lures. I guess because worms and insects were around before lures.

But, here is something most people don't know. I can combine the use of live bait and lures. I'll get to that later. Just remember, the smaller the fish, the smaller the bait to use.

As an example, "Red Wigglers" or "Composting Worms" make good bait for smaller mouth fish. Inasmuch as they are a small bait themselves, they are usually sold in three or four dozen quantities.

The "basic" live bait for trout though is the good old earthworm or night crawler. Being much larger, I will cut them to size.
Grasshoppers also work well. I insert the hook right through their abdomen so they wiggle can still wiggle. 'Wiggling' bait helps attract fish. The more wiggling the more my grasshopper will be noticed.

Speaking of wiggling bait....when I talk about trout and what they will strike? Brook Trout will strike the darker end of the worm most often, while Rainbow prefer the lighter end. But Brown trout don't care or seem to have a preference at all. They will strike either end of a worm in spite of it's color presentation. 

One small point....when I cut these worms? I use the smaller pieces to disguise my hook by sliding them "end on," on my hook. If I don't, trout WILL see the hook and quite possibly pass up that meal. I even use worms on my lures sometimes (I'll talk more about that later) Trout do indeed have great eyesight.
 
Another great bait is the common garden slug. I know what you're thinking right about now....eeeewwwww those things are icky and slimy! While that's true, they still make an excellent early morning bait. Another plus....they WILL stay on your hook when other baits may slide off. Just a thought, just a thought.


Next up: More Live bait and their uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment